Mumma's Gingerbread Recipe
Do your kids love Gingerbread?! We have been making this with the boys, it’s become a bit of a lockdown tradition! It's a great way to get the kids in the kitchen! 👨🍳
We make it over three days
👉 Day one - make the dough
👉 Day two - cut the gingerbread men out and bake them
👉 Day three - decorate!
The family recipe has been tweaked over the years. I’d love to hear if you make these with your kids too!
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Plain flour, to dust
- 150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
- Smarties and hundreds and thousands, to decorate
- Step 1 - Set oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with backing paper or lightly grease.
- Step 2 - Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda.
- Step 3 - Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Step 4 - Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Step 5 - Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter or any other shape cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Step 6 - Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Allow to cool on rack.
- Step 7 - Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with Smarties and hundreds and thousands.
- Step 8 – Enjoy!